Looking for a free online tool to use as a homeschool planner?
You might want to give Cozi a try. It’s an online family planner and organizer. It’s pretty easy to use and offers many great features including shopping lists and meal planners.
Cozi can also be used for helping your kids keep track of their homeschool assignments and due dates.
Sign Up for Cozi
You’ll find Cozi by going to www.cozi.com.
Signing up is easy. Just click on the Sign up button in the top right. Cozi will ask you to enter an email address that is shared by your family along with a password. You’ll also need to fill in a first name and your zip code.
Add Your Family Members
On your Cozi home page you’ll find a convenient welcome area with tips for getting started. To begin adding family members, click on Tell Cozi who’s in your family.
Now you can start inputting all the names of your little angels and add a household name. Cozi says you can even include your busy pets.
Cozi also gives you the option to add each family member’s email address so that they can receive email reminders or weekly agenda notifications. Of course, if your pet has an email address, you can put that in too.
What happens when a new member joins your family? You can just go to Settings > General information about your household to add that person (or animal) into Cozi.
Add Events or Due Dates
Adding events to Cozi is simple.
- Click on Calendar.
- Click on the date for the event. You can change the view of your calendar to Day, Week, or Month if you like.
- Enter in your event or due date at the top where it says Type appointment. You can also include the time of the event, i.e. 10am Homeschool Co-op. You can find out more about what you can enter by clicking on What can I type?
- Click Enter.
- If you click on an event, you’ll find options for adding things like Reminders or Repeats. The reminders are by text message or email only. I’m afraid there are no pop ups like Google Calendar has.
There you go. Now you can add important events like appointments, field trips, extra curricular activities, and due dates to your Cozi calendar.
Do you want your children to have access to a list of their assignments each day on Cozi? That’s easy enough. Here’s how.
- Click on To Do.
- You are going to start by adding a homeschool To Do list for each child. Click on the Change tab at the top. Then Organize To Do lists.
- Under To Do Lists, there is a space where you can Click to add a new to do list. Enter the name of a list for your child. It could be Michelle’s School Work or something similar. Then you’ll see that there is an Assign option for each list. Click this to assign the list to your child. Follow these steps for each of your children then click Done.
- You’ll find yourself back on the To Do page. Click on the tab Lists and select the list you want to add assignments to.
- Here’s a really convenient feature of Cozi. You can create a heading for a list and add a date so that everything under that heading is scheduled for that date. Very nice. Here’s how to do that. Type in a heading name in all capital letters followed by a space and the date, like this: HOMESCHOOL 10/30. Then hit enter. Now you can go ahead and list all of the assignments for the day.
Cozi is Mobile
It’s easy to use Cozi on a variety of mobile devices. There are apps available for Android, iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad. I liked the look of Cozi in my mobile gadgets. It was very easy to read and manipulate. The Meals option (more on that in a minute) is not available in these apps.
Cozi has some convenient extra features including shopping lists and meal planning. The Meals tab is where you find meal planning. They have a selection of free recipes here. You’ll find them under Cozi Picks. The ingredients for these recipes can be added to a shopping list with just one click. Very nice.
All-in-all, I found Cozi to be very user friendly. I also liked the extras it offers. However, I do miss the color-coding option and pop ups that you find in Google Calendar. You can learn more about using Google Calendar in my post How to Use Google Calendar as Your Homeschool Planner.
Which planner do YOU like to use for keeping organized?